Monday, October 26, 2009

Preparing to Write

There were a number of things I did before I actually started writing. Of course, I had a laptop and wireless internet, two things I could not do without on this journey.

Here is a simplified list:
  1. I borrowed "Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies" from my local library and read it cover-to-cover. Someone with intimate knowledge of the series romance genre wrote it.
  2. I scoured the internet for resources, tips and advice for budding authors.
  3. I borrowed the latest Harlequin romances from the library and read those to get a sense of what they were looking for.
  4. I listened to the editors' podcasts for the series I had chosen on the eHarlequin website.
  5. I set a goal for myself: submit my novel to Harlequin by December 31, 2009.
  6. I visited current Harlequin authors' websites and sent them emails. They are all extremely helpful.
  7. I requested a detailed submission guideline (via email) for the Harlequin Romance series from Harlequin directly and received it in three days.
Then, I began writing...

No comments:

Post a Comment