At first, I just wrote. I read through my outline and character development notes and I just started writing. I got to about 6,000 words when I realized that I wasn't happy with the story anymore. It needed more umph and pomp. It needed to be different. What was my character's motivation? Why did my hero fall in love with my heroine? Why couldn't they just be together from the beginning? In other words, what was the conflict. I wasn't happy with the story anymore.
I found myself on dangerous ground. Re-writing my entire story was possible to do, of course, but I had no inclination to start from scratch. Besides, I liked my heroine and her motivations. I understood them and I was intimately involved with them. My hero could be flexible so I decided to start there. I read another book called "Writing Romance" and the author said that a romance author needs to know her heroine and hero inside and out. Their past, their present, their journey, their future, their dreams and aspirations. Everything that shapes them as people. Ordinary people that readers can relate to. I reshaped my hero and found that I was finally on to something.
I have to admit, I changed the actual plot of my story several times before I was satisfied enough to start writing again. This may not have been the best thing to do. Everything I have read to date on the internet, urges first-time authors to just write, preferably, but not necessarily, from an outline, and get a first draft done as quickly as possible. That is my goal then.
No comments:
Post a Comment