Monday, October 26, 2009

Creating the First Draft

On October 25, I started writing my first draft based on the last outline I had written.

I can't say that the outline I'm using to write my first draft is perfect because it probably isn't. In fact, I've already found things that I'm changing along the way. However, I doubt I would have got this far without an outline of some sort.

Another reason for getting this far in two days is that I'm not paying too much attention to finding the perfect words in each sentence. I'm just dumping the words on paper. I just want to get the story on paper from start to finish. I'm not aiming for any particular word count for the first draft. I just want to get to the "...and they lived happily ever after." bit.

Something I should be doing now is setting daily goals for myself. It's going to be difficult because, though I spend most days at home, I do have things to do around the house. I think a daily goal of 1,500 words is reasonable. As long as I focus on just writing and follow my outline as closely as possible, I'll be safe.

As of this post, I have written 6,322 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment