Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Finally back on track

I've been absolutely terrible with my writing this past week. Just terrible. I wasn't motivated and I kept thinking that I was stuck. So, I went back to my outline and started all over again, refining it, rewriting the order of each scene. I finally broke down my outline my chapter and wrote an outline for 10 chapters. I finally see the finished product in front of me. The chapters flow together properly, the story makes sense, there's no sagging middle and I think it's going to be a page-turner.

I tried my best to keep all the scenes and dialogues I've already written so I just have to add things to my existing first draft. I refined chapter 1 and I'm very pleased with it now.

As far as word count is concerned, I'm at 16,600 words in total. Chapter 1's word count is 4,992, which is perfect since I'm aiming for about 5,000 words per chapter.

I'm hoping to complete and refine Chapter 2, 3, 4 and part of Chapter 5 by the end of this week. I know it sounds like a lot, but it's mostly stuff that I've already written. I'm just refining it. If I can keep up the pace, I'll be fine. I just have to keep myself motivated.

I discovered more writer's resources as I was procrastinating. One of them is the Merriam-Webster online thesaurus. I had been using the thesaurus in MS Word but it's extremely basic. Merriam's is a lot better. I've posted the link on the right. I also found a website called "Write or Die". It's really cute and it helps you stay focused and just write to meet either a word count goal or time goal. Check it out when you have a chance.

Gotta go now... lots of writing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment